Take the barbecue pulled pork sandwich concept, throw in a little Hawaii flavor flair, and you end up with an amazing sandwich that you just can't stop eating.
You should have all the ingredients on hand, except maybe for the kalua (pit-smoked) pork, which is readily available in Hawaii supermarkets or online.
And, there's a minimum of prep and mixing involved, unless you have a special cole slaw recipe and make an incredible potato salad. I'll leave those up to you.
You'll notice there are no amounts given in the ingredient list. Just use what you have, as much or as little as it takes to make enough sandwiches to feed your horde. A carton or package of kalua pork makes 3-4 sandwiches.
- SESAME SEED HAMBURGER BUNS, 1 or more packages
- BUTTER, quite a bit, softened
- PACKAGED HAWAIIAN KALUA PORK, 1 or more
- BARBECUE SAUCE, store-bought or homemade.
- SWEET ONION SLABS, 3-4" diameter, ¼" thick, one per sandwich
- COLE SLAW, store-bought, KFC, or homemade
- Break up the kalua pork in a pan, squirt in a more-than-adequate amount of your favorite barbecue sauce. Mix and heat through.
- Butter the insides of the buns and pan toast them until golden brown. Remove them to your cutting board.
- Cover the bottom of a bun with an onion slab.
- Pile the BBQ kalua pork high on onion.
- Top with a ridiculous amount of cole slaw and the bun's top half. Try to keep the sandwich from toppling over.
- Serve with potato salad and a dill pickle spear (or 2, or 3), and plenty of napkins. Goes great with beer or an ice-cold Coca-Cola®.