Friday, January 8, 2016

Sumthin’ ‘n’ Grits


Grits are great stuff, for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack.

The first time I had grits was in October, 1988, at Dallas’ Hilton Anatole Hotel buffet. "What’s that cream-of wheat-looking hot cereal stuff, anyway? Oh, it’s cheesy grits,” I muttered to myself. Well, why not? It was delish. Tres delish.

I tried to order it in restaurants after that, but the only time I found it offered was with breakfast, and when I had restaurant breakfasts in Hawaii, only Denny’s had it. And then, the Pearlridge Center Denny’s we frequented closed down, so that was that.

Just last year, I went to the House of Blues in the Las Vegas Mandalay Bay. Lo and behold, they had Shrimp and Grits on the dinner menu. Bingo! That’s what I ordered. When I got home, I sought out grits at the supermarket, but only two chains carried it in Hawaii – Safeway and Whole Foods. Not just any Safeway, one has to go to one of the bigger ones. And Whole Foods is an adventure as the wife and I end up buying too much good stuff, wiping out our budget.

I bought a box, made the grits regularly, until one day I couldn’t find my stock. They just disappeared. So I had to go on a safari again until I found some. Today, I have two big jarfuls of grits in my pantry.

Grits are good any way you make it. Here’s my Bacon and Maple-Cheesy Grits recipe; you can substitute any breakfast meat for the bacon if you want to (but why anyone want to is beyond me). If you have left-over shrimp scampi, that’s perfect on top of the grits.

Bacon and Maple-Cheesy Grits

Ingredients
  • GRITS, ½ cup
  • WATER, 1 cup
  • MILK, 1 cup
  • MAPLE SYRUP, ½ cup
  • BUTTER, 2 tablespoons
  • SHARP CHEDDAR CHEESE, ½ cup, shredded
  • BACON, 4 slices, cooked and crumbled
  • GARLIC SALT, a shake
Directions
  1. Bring the water+milk+salt to a boil in a pot, then pour in the grits.
  2. Lower the heat to low, and when most of the liquid has been absorbed, stir in the maple syrup, butter and cheese.
  3. Remove the pot from the heat and cover, letting the grits thicken at least 5 minutes.
  4. Serve in bowls (makes 2 servings), sprinkle with crumbled bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment