Monday, January 18, 2016

Apple Slab Pie

Yeah, yeah, I know. It looks like a banana convention
in a sea of milk.

This delicious recipe was posted on Facebook; it looked simple enough, so I copied it.

However, I made a mistake: When I laid out the pie crust in the baking pan, I had run out of parchment, so I lined the pan with aluminum foil. Forgot to spray it with Pam and when I tried to cut the cooked slab, I kind of tore up the bottom crust because it had stuck in places to the foil.

Next time, it’s parchment paper for me … which it should have been this time, had I not been so lazy and to buy a roll first

To get the crust square when prepping with the rolling pin, you can do what I did and trim off the curved sides, adding them to the right and left side to extend it.

Or, do it the easy way and just roll it out into a bigger circle, flatten it with the rolling pin, and bend the circumference upward before arranging the apple slices.

Also, I made the glaze in a Zip-Loc bag and cut off a piece of the corner so I could make fancy dribbled onto the finished slab. I needn’t have bothered, I could have just spooned it on, because the glaze just settled into the spaces between the apple slices.

Ingredients
  • PILLSBURY PIE CRUSTS, 1 box, softened as directed on box
  • GRANULATED SUGAR, 1 cup
  • ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR, 3 tablespoons
  • GROUND CINNAMON, 1 teaspoon
  • GROUND NUTMEG, 1/4 teaspoon
  • SALT, ¼ teaspoon salt
  • LEMON JUICE, 1½ tablespoons
  • APPLES, 9 cups (9 medium), peeled and thinly sliced
  • POWDERED SUGAR, 1 cup
  • MILK, 2 tablespoons
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Remove pie crusts from pouches. Stack on a lightly floured surface, unroll and then roll to 17 x 12-inch rectangle.
  3. Fit crust into 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan, pressing into corners. Fold extra crust under, even with edges of pan.
  4. In a small bowl, mix granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice.
  5. Add apples, stirring to coat, then spoon or arrange the apple mixture into the crust-lined pan.
  6. Bake for 30 to 33 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
  7. Cool in pan on cooling rack for 45 minutes.
  8. In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and milk until well blended. Drizzle over pie.
  9. Let stand until glaze is set, about 30 minutes, then slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment