Friday, January 7, 2011

Chili Willi


This is a variety breakfast that I have occasionally, whenever there’s leftover chili from the night before.
I heat up the chili, fry up a couple of over-easy eggs and lay them on top of hot steamed rice, and pour the chili on top. You can do it in a soup bowl and have your breakfast with a big spoon. Hearty man-sized meal, it is.
As for the name, “Chili Willi,” it’s just something silly I made up one day because it’s a good hot breakfast for a cold winter morning.
If we have a lot of leftover chili, I divide it into individual-sized servings and freeze it for another time when I have a hankering for Chili Willi upon waking up in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I love eggs cooked just about any way. Huevos rancheros is one of our favs. I think I'd probably like them with chili, but not quite sure about the rice. But if I don't try it, I will never know. This will be on the menu the morning after my next batch of chili. Thanks for the idea!

    Do you usually serve rice with your chili so that is leftover, too? I'll need to make that in addition as it's not an accompaniment we normally have with chili. And given that they're predicting 4"-8" of snow for us on Sunday night, it's very likely that's the next chili night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chili and rice is big in Hawaii, Becky. So is stew and rice. Heck, anything and rice is a local fave. They even serve chili and rice in the restaurants here.

    ReplyDelete