Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Simple Dutch Baby Pancake


Also known in some circles as a German pancake, a Dutch baby is a very large, sweet pancake that’s made in a large skillet. It’s started on the stove, then finished off in the oven; the ones that I’ve had elsewhere are served with fruit toppings.
I make a much easier version. Instead of mixing my own pancake batter with eggs, flour and milk, I use packaged pancake mix … most often Bisquick. Why? Because it’s quick and I like the flavor of their pancakes.
The time-consuming part is the peeling, coring and wedging of apples, but what the heck, you can do that while watching the morning show on TV.
Ingredients
  • PANCAKE MIX, 2 cups
  • EGGS, 2 slightly beaten
  • MILK, 1 cup
  • APPLES, 2 (I use Gala or Fuji), peeled, cored and sliced into ½-inch-thick wedges
  • BUTTER, 4 tablespoons
  • BROWN SUGAR, 3 tablespoons
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 475°F.
  2. In a large pan (mine is 13 inches), melt the butter and add the brown sugar.
  3. Add the apple slices and toss in the pan until all are coated.
  4. Prepare the batter as instructed on the box (Bisquick calls 2 cups of mix, plus the eggs and milk).
  5. Pour the batter over the apples.
  6. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the pancake is golden brown on top.
  7. Remove and let sit for about 5 minutes.
  8. Cut out wedges and invert before eating, with apples on top.

2 comments:

  1. I recently bought Dutch Baby Pancake mix at William Sonoma...haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so good. My family enjoyed it. I hate flipping pancakes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete