Chicken goes well with citrus, and this recipe takes advantage of the partnership.
I garnished mine with minced sweet pickled peppadaw and green onions.
- CHICKEN (Options: breasts or tenders) 1 pound
- CORN STARCH, ½ cup
- FLOUR, ½ cup
- EGGS, 3, beaten
- SOY SAUCE, 1 tablespoon
- LEMON JUICE, 1 lemon
- LEMON JUICE, ½ cup
- WATER, ½ cup
- SUGAR, 2 tablespoons
- LEMON ZEST, 1 lemon
- SALT, pinch
- CORN STARCH SLURRY, 1 tablespoon
- Heat a deep pan of canola oil.
- If using chicken breasts, pound to flatten, and cut into 1-inch wide strips.
- Combine the corn starch and flour, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, soy sauce, and juice of 1 lemon.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour, coat in the egg mixture, and again in the flour.
- Deep-fry the coated chicken until golden brown on both sides.
- In another pan, combine ½ cup of lemon juice, water, sugar, lemon zest and salt, whisking to combine as it cooks.
- Thicken the sauce with the cornstarch slurry.
- Coat the chicken in the sauce and serve on steamed rice.