Friday, December 4, 2015

Beef with Snow Peas


I got the basic recipe for this from the cooking show, “The Pioneer Woman” hosted by Ree Drummond on Food Network. It looked scrumptious when she made it, so I thought I’d give it a try.

Actually, I’ve made something like this before – Teriyaki beef slices with Chinese peas – so this dish was familiar and easy. Plus, I had a bottle of homemade teriyaki sauce on hand (my wife’s family’s delicatessen recipe, which you can find elsewhere on this blog).

Consequently, I used our teriyaki sauce, augmenting it with sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch and minced ginger … all of which gave the sauce an extra zing. Ree added in some chili pepper flakes at the end to give it some pop, but my family isn’t into spicy, so I left it out. Instead, I sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds over the completed dish.

Anyway, here’s her recipe, which I basically followed, changing the flank steak into an 8-ounce filet mignon instead.

Ingredients

  • FLANK STEAK, 1 to 1½ pounds, sliced very thin against the grain
  • SOY SAUCE, ½ cup, low sodium
  • SHERRY, 3 tablespoons
  • BROWN SUGAR, 2 tablespoons
  • CORNSTARCH, 2 tablespoons
  • GINGER, minced or grated, 1 tablespoon
  • FRESH SNOW PEAS, 8 ounces
  • GREEN ONIONS (SCALLIONS), 5, cut into half-inch pieces on the diagonal
  • OLIVE OIL, 3 tablespoons
  • SALT (as needed)

Directions

  1. Combine the soy sauce, sherry, brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger in a bowl.
  2. Pour half the marinade over all of the steak slices and toss. Reserve the other half.
  3. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet, add the snow peas and stir-fry for about a minute. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
  4. Reheat the pan, then, using tongs, add in half the meat mixture, along with half the scallions.
  5. Stir-fry the meat, spreading it out. Transfer to a plate.
  6. Repeat with the other half of the meat, then add the previously cooked meat, along with the snow peas.
  7. Stir-fry over high heat for about 30 seconds to a minute, then turn off the heat. The mixture will thicken as it sits, because of the cornstarch.
  8. Serve over steamed rice.

3 comments:

  1. My requirements all seem to be included here. I like "quick, easy and tasty" Sounds as though they are all here. How long did you marinate the meat? I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too long, Carolyn, say a 15 minutes to a
      half-hour or so, max, because I used a filet migon. If flank is used, I'd say about an hour ... the longer the better.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Craig. I was guessing something like that time frame. It's all very "do~able" and sounds and looks terrific. I will be making this one!

    ReplyDelete